Step by Step Guide to Light Painting Photography Ideas, Tips and Techniques – illuminate your imagination as we cover the fundamentals of light painting photography, from tips to camera settings to equipment to help your light painting photography ideas.
Have you ever come across those shots of vibrantly lit words and shapes full of light online and wondered how to reproduce them?
Painting light is an easy and enjoyable practice, from aspiring to professional photographers. It is referred to as light painting because that is precisely what you are doing, painting with light when your shot is being taken.
If you’re an aspiring photographer and want to learn more about photography, Try purchasing this book called “Digital Photography Complete Course: Learn Everything You Need to Know in 20 Weeks,” which is the best overall offer.
10 Amazon Best Seller for Photography Books
- Digital Photography Complete Course
- Hardcover Book
- David Taylor (Author)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- White, Alexander (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- Beales, Finn (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 176 Pages - 11/03/2020 (Publication Date) - White Lion Publishing (Publisher)
- Size: 6 x 6 ft. ( 71 x 71 in.), this backdrop is ideal for shooting both objects and portraits. It is also perfect for a...
- Additionally, the background is well suited for food and other still life arrangements, showcasing store displays,...
- All our backdrops are constructed of thin, lightweight vinyl. This material allows for easy folding and portability....
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Peterson, Bryan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- Yang, Ming (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 65 Pages - 08/30/2021 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- Sartore, Joel (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 256 Pages - 11/12/2019 (Publication Date) - National Geographic (Publisher)
- Hardcover Book
- Koval, Wally (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- Size: 6x6ft (180x180cm), the backdrop is ideal for both object and portrait shooting like toddler, Kid, children,...
- Material: thin vinyl, light weight and it can be folded and portable; High resolution and quality, not easy fade (Please...
- Using a series of high-tech digital design and professional computer-printed, it makes the shooting effect more real and...
- Hardcover Book
- Lindbergh, Peter (Author)
- Multilingual (Publication Language)
Introduction of Photography with Light Painting
Light Painting Photography Ideas, Tips, and Techniques – Light Painting is a photography technique that uses a handheld light source for long exposure to “paint” or “draw” light into the image. Painting with light is a common photography practice, mainly because it’s pretty easy to achieve great results, needs little specialised equipment, and you can get some fascinating results.
Light painting photography ideas, also referred to as light drawing or light graffiti, is a photography technique that uses a moving light source—such as a torch, a glow stick, a light brush, or even a smartphone—to change the picture when taking a long exposure shot. Instead of merely capturing an image, light painters add another aspect by highlighting an object or producing streaks, colours or flashes in the picture.
Check Our Articles about Long Exposure Photography in here:
3 Primary Light Sources for Light Painting Photography Ideas
For light painting photography ideas, there are three primary types of light sources:
1. On-camera source for light painting photography ideas
A light source on the camera means that the light element is a visible subject. With this method, you simply walk into the picture frame and use a light source to “paint”. It’s a good idea to wear dark clothing if you choose this technique, so you don’t show up in the image yourself.
2. Off-camera source for light painting photography ideas
You can shine a light from beyond the camera frame with an off-camera light source onto a part of the photograph. Light sources outside of the camera are suitable for highlighting particular objects or changing the picture’s overall tone.
3. Light painting photography ideas with kinetic light
You are merely going to transfer the camera, not the light source, with kinetic light painting. So, you might make a candlelight painting, for instance, with the light emitted from a candle.
What Equipment Do You Need for Light Painting Photography Ideas?
The first thing to create light painting photography is a camera with manual controls. At least changing your camera’s shutter speed is essential. Light painters produce pictures on digital and video cameras. The most common type of camera used in light painting is a DSLR camera, so you can check your image instantly on location.
You will find the best camera you might ever like below here!
Canon 6D Mark II
- 26.2 Megapixel Full frame CMOS Sensor
- Optical Viewfinder with a 45 point All Cross type AF System
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Phase detection and Full HD 60p
If you own a higher-end camera, the lenses are interchangeable. There are hundreds of lenses for any camera type. If you’ve been painting light for a while, you may feel like a photographic virgin. Generally, the sooner you can open the lens, the better. If you’re light painting out in the darkness and want to catch a starry sky in your scene, you’ll want a lens that allows you to carry the most light. Zoom lenses allow you to create amazing light-painting images.
You will find all of the lenses you might ever like below here!
- Ultra wide-angle 14mm lens with an approximately 90° angle of view using an APS-C camera, for dramatic effects
- Lens has a minimum focusing distance of 0.9' (28 cm) for enhanced close-up shots. Lens includes a built-in petal-type...
- Maximum Diameter: 3.4”(87mm). Aperture Range: F2.8 to F22
- Offers stable and fine image quality from wide to mid-telephoto range
- This lens has a combination of fixed aperture and a good zoom ratio that is kept as high as possible
- minimum focusing distance of 45cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.6. great for close up photography;Includes...
A strong tripod is an integral part of light painting photography ideas. Tripods come in a range of sizes and materials; carbon fiber tripods are a great choice but can be very costly. Some items to check for when you purchase a new tripod are weight limits, how far the tripod can stretch, and whether the tripod has built-in levels.
I strongly recommend that you spend a little extra money on a piece of light painting equipment. Your light painting exposures vary from 5 to over an hour. When you open your camera shutter and light a 30-minute scene to come back and see your tripod slipped, it hurts.
Neewer Carbon Fiber
- With the use of a tripod,it can achieve greater performance and maintain image quality for cropping larger picture...
- With a handle for adjustment of different angles.Non-slip feet design,which keeps the tripod steady on virtual ground...
- Extends to 61"/155cm tall,folds to 28"/71cm.Three section aluminum adjustable-height legs.
Remote Shutter Release
Cable releases, also known as a shutter release or intervalometer, vary in difficulty and are a perfect addition to light painting photographers’ arsenal. Some shutter releases are a primary trigger push button, and some are computer-controlled. The more complicated, the more costly they become. Costs range from around $10.00 to hundreds of dollars.
Higher shutter releases such as the PIXEL 2.4G Wireless E3/N3 allow limitless delay and exposure combinations. A shutter release doesn’t necessitate light painting photography, but it’s an excellent accessory.
PIXEL 2.4G Wireless E3/N3
- Compatible with Canon EOS 10D 20D 30D 40D 50D 5D 5D Mark II 5D Mark III 5DS 5DS R 6D 7D 7D Mark II 1D 1Ds 1D Mark II 1Ds...
- Compatible with Canon XT XTi XS XSi T1i T2 T2i T3 T3i T4 T4i T5 T5i T6i T6 SL1, EOS 1300D 1200D 1100D 1000D 760D 750D...
- Compatible with Pentax istD istDL istDS istDS2 istDL2 K100D K110D K200D K500 K100D K20D K10D K30 K50 K7 K5 K511 K511s K3...
Neutral Density Filter
Neutral Density Filter also known as ND Filter is a dark, color neutral filter used to monitor the amount of light hitting the film or sensor. ND filters can be used during daytime hours or when light source is particularly bright.
A good ND filter is one that can be modified to suit your existing lens, such as the K&F Concept 49mm. You can also get cheaper ND material and make your own filter system.
K&F Concept 49mm
- 【Includes】K&F CONCEPT 49MM Adjustable Neutral Density Professional Photography Filter ND2~400 + Professional...
- 【Material】 ND Filter: Made by Completed Professional Optical Glasses instead of Optical Resin. Microfiber: This...
- 【Professional Design】 Using Super Slim Original Design to Avoid Vignetting When You Taking Photo.
Light Sources for Light Painting Photography Ideas
This is where you can decide the photos you want to make. You may use natural light sources such as the moon or all sorts of artificial light sources such as sparklers and torches. There are several styles of ‘light sticks,’ from relatively cheap to very costly! By adding a string of LED lights to a bamboo stick, you can even generate light! You may use colour gels to change the light colours.
A lot of tools are available to help you make good light-painting pictures. Only a quick look online will show a variant of quality tools.
- TWIST FOCUSING OPTIC: The simple Twist Focusing system goes from an Ultra View Flood Beam to Bulls-Eye Spot Beam.
- VARIABLE LIGHT CONTROL WHEEL: Ability to adjust the light output with the control wheel to any point between low and...
- TOUGH & RELIABLE: Backed by the COAST Lifetime against defects in materials and workmanship. IPX4 rated design for water...
1050 Lumens Tactical Flashlight
- POWERFUL FLASHLIGHT: CREE XP-L LED,Max output:1060 lumen;Aviation aluminum vacuum electroplating reflecting system;Max...
- TACTICAL TAIL SWITCH WITH MOMENTARY-ON FUNCTION: Meet demanding tactical duty as well as outdoor and everyday use,Side...
- SMART ADJUSTMENT: Intelligent Thermal Protection System (ITS), Intelligent Battery Identification System (IBIS),...
- Vertical Rotation Angle: 0~90 degrees, Horizontal Rotation Angle: 0~270 degrees; Note: Don't support TTL and the camera...
- Compatible with for Canon Nikon Panasonic Olympus Pentax Fijifilm and Sony with Mi Hot Shoe cameras，like a9 a7 a7II...
- Power Management: Switch to the ON, the flash will start charging (the charging indicator is dim)
- Battery Pack Controller (4 Modes: on/off Mode, Solid on Mode, Flash Mode, Fast Flash Mode)
- Great for Parties, Costumes, Decorations, Christmas, Car, Light Signal, Burning man, Halloween
- Unique & Elegant: Original, classic, portable, the rechargeable lighter offers a sleek design and compact size of...
- Powerful & Reliable: Windproof double arcs - plasma beam - generated by electricity, this unique heat source offering...
- Better Battery: Built-in 260 mAh rechargeable battery, with 4 LEDs of battery's indicator; 1.5 hours recharge time and...
- 【LEXIBLE & DURABLE】: 12-PACK 20 mini individual rice lights with 3.3FT extra thin silver wire will illuminate any...
- 【EASY TO SHAPE】 High quality copper wire and LED material makes the lights can be durable for daily use. Such as...
- 【EASY TO USE】Small battery pack is easy to hide, non submersible battery pack, CR2032 batteries ( include ) are...
LED Key Chain Lights
- [TWO MODES] ON/OFF Switch and Squeeze Button.
- [PATENTED] Unbreakable Micro Flashlight. LED Shines For Over 1 Mile. 100,000 Hour LED Life.
- [SUPER BRIGHT] Key Chain Mini Flashlights for Dog Light, Camping, Hiking, Safety Light or Emergency.
Wheels with attached LEDs
- NEW AND IMPROVED DESIGN: Upgrade your flow with the newly redesigned Elite Flow Levitation Wand! We spent countless...
- INFINITE CUSTOMIZATION: Combine 3 pre-programmed LED light modes and 20 stunning colors for beautiful light trails....
- SPINS LIKE A DREAM: Each Levitation Wand is balanced and weighted for a light and stable flow at 120g. Also includes 2...
- ULTRA BRIGHT AND LONGER LASTING - Perfectly engineered under strict quality control, these glow sticks are made from...
- MULTI COLOR ULTIMATE GLOW STICKS PARTY PACK - This pack was thoughtfully designed to provide the ultimate glow party...
- KIDS SAFE (NON LEAKING AND NON TOXIC) - We've designed our glow sticks so that you can be relaxed knowing your kid is...
- LED penlight for up-close lighting in dim areas
- Laser pointer aids in pinpointing objects in out-of-reach locations
- Glow ring tip charges while the light is on and allows for easy retrieval in the dark
- Includes Two Poi Balls With Black String & Finger Straps
- Features 6 Different Light Up Functions
- Great for Raves, Outdoor Festivals, Carnivals & More!
The tape is the best friend of light painters. Gaffers Tape, Gorilla Tape, and Duct Tape have numerous applications in light-painting photography. Gaffers tape is best to use when removing it you don’t want to leave any residue behind, it’s a sturdy tape that will pull away clean, but it’s pricey.
- Color-Shifting Vinyl Sheets: Create magical decals and stickers with this opal adhesive vinyl that sticks to plastic,...
- Cut & Weed Custom Designs: Each sheet is designed to be compatible with most cutting machines and can be cut with a...
- Incredibly Durable Sheets: These vinyl sheets are made from durable PVC and will stay put until you’re ready to remove...
Steel Wool Fireworks
In light painting photography, fireworks are used to produce some of the most dramatic effects you can make, and they are the most fun to work with light painting photography ideas.
- Do this in a Safe Place,Keep far away from the Crowd,Vehicle and Explosive.
- Fantastic Picture with the Firework Graffiti.Help Take Amazing Picture at Night.
- Enough Exposure time so that can be shoot by Common SLR.
LED Fiber Optic Whip
- PROGRAMMABLE LED Fiber Optic Space Whip Remix. The #1 Best Selling Whip with 35 Vibrant Colors with 5 Customizable Color...
- NEW FEATURES, IMPROVED DURABILITY - We Took Our Space Whip Pro and Remixed it To Perfection. Now Featuring Rainbow...
- 130+ SUPER BRIGHT FIBERS & POWERFUL LEDs: Smooth 360 Degree Swivel Ball Bearing with Over 130 silky smooth Fibers (.75...
Lightshow Orbital Rave Light Toy
- The Orbite-X3 is the perfect spinning LED orbit for both beginner & advanced users. This light up rave toy is easy to...
- 16 Hypnotic Flashing Patterns - 3 Mode Shuffles - 20 Color Options
- Featuring reversible microlights - Flip your lights inside-out for a vibrant inner glow! The Orbite-X3 comes with 4...
Light Painting Brushes
Light Painting Brushes Universal Connector is the LPB device base. This simple rubber connector revolutionized Light Painting Photography Ideas tools, enabling Light Painters to quickly and easily attach unlimited lights and light modifiers.
Using Universal Connector, you can make your own DIY tools or use Light Painting Brushes’ professional light modifiers.
Light Painting Brushes Universal Connector 3 Pack
- The Universal Connector works with any relatively round light that has a diameter of .975"-1.5".
- Works best with lights that have an on/off switch near the rear of the light.
- With the Light Painting Brush System lights and light modifiers can be quickly and easily interchanged.
Light Painting Photography Ideas: Camera Settings
Like any advanced photography, you’ll want to play around with your camera settings to find out the exact ones to use for the effect you want. But some details will help you start with light painting photography ideas.
The most significant thing that’s different from most of the pictures you’ll probably take is that you’ll want a long exposure. We talk long: at least 30 seconds, if not longer, depending on what you make. A long exposure allows your camera to catch motion while stationary objects remain crisp. In light paintings, movement would be a light source.
Here are the most simple settings to set on your camera to get that long exposure successfully and produce a light painting photography ideas:
- Mode: Manual, bulb
- Shutter speed: 30 seconds
- Aperture: f/5.6
- ISO: 100
Note that these are just starting points and that you may need to adjust these settings to make the picture brighter or darker for your particular situation.
Besides manipulating exposure settings, light painting requires adjustments to the image’s white balance.
White balance relates to the image’s colour temperature, precisely, colour casts that appear to have a colouration that creates neutral tones such as white.
You may need to use the tungsten or incandescent white balance setting (but don’t be afraid to try one of the other options too), depending on the light you use to paint the scene.
On your part, this will require some experimentation, but the objective is to generate light that is true to colour.
Your camera might have trouble finding the focus on its own since you’re going to be shooting at night.
You can simply illuminate the subject with your light (turned to maximum brightness) to get around this so that your camera’s autofocus system has the best chance of obtaining focus.
In order to lock the focus in place, switch your lens to manual focus once the focus is set.
As long as you don’t move the camera, all of your photos’ focus will be set. Alternatively, to ensure you get a clear, crisp shot, you can learn how to focus your lens manually.
The last camera setting for Light Painting Photography Ideas is to shoot your light painting images in the RAW format. Unlike JPEGs, this format retains all the details that the sensor captures and provides you with more information to work with post-processing.
Find The Right Background to Light Painting Photography Ideas
In light painting photography, it is critical to find an excellent location. Find a way to interact with the environment and make it seem that your orbs are a part of the environment.
Your background doesn’t need to be a famous landmark. It doesn’t always have to be so gorgeous, either. It might be a park filled with trees or even a backyard for you. What matters is how you use the room for photography with light painting.
For a balanced composition, think about where to position yourself. When possible, you should also try to use elements in the background to make the image of your light painting look more cohesive.
Consider the ambient light around it when searching for a location. If it’s too bright, your light painting may drown you out. The best background should be dark enough to enable you to use up to thirty seconds of shutter speed. It should not overwhelm the light source that you are using, either. Otherwise, it’s going to be hard to see what you have drawn in the air.
4 Basic Light Painting Photography Tutorial: Step by Step
As mentioned previously, an aperture of f/5.6, a shutter speed of 30 seconds, and an ISO of 100 is an excellent place to start with your camera settings.
However, these are all general guidelines, and tweaks will almost undoubtedly need to be made depending on the particular situation you are working in.
Get your camera on your tripod, make sure image stabilisation is OFF, and turn off long noise reduction when your camera is equipped.
Illuminate the subject with light and use the light to allow your camera’s autofocus system to concentrate on the subject (or you can do it manually if you like). Once the focus is reached, switch the lens to manual if it is not already locked.
As you explore light painting photography ideas, try to keep your enthusiasm in check and start with a small subject instead of immediately try a masterpiece of grand light painting.
By selecting a small subject, such as an old rusty truck, you can work the shot in one light and exposure.
With this simple setup, you can focus on ironing out exposure settings and light settings to get the photo right.
When your gear is in place, take a couple of test shots at the highest possible exposure. You would also want to change the white balance to your light source. The white balance can be changed in your camera, and you can also alter it if you have a light like LitraPro that has an adjustable colour temperature. The goal is to have a fine, clean, colour neutral light.
Focus to The Light
The last thing you want is to light up yourself while the scene is being painted so that you might focus on the light.
This means maintaining the source of light targeted at the subject and away from the camera.
This also means you need to keep the light source moving – as it’s a long exposure, your movements won’t appear in the shot, so as long as you keep moving with your light from one spot to the next, you won’t make an accidental shot appearance.
If you wear dark clothes for light painting, it’s useful. A dark long-sleeved shirt and dark pants will absorb the light, making you invisible.
Experiment and Try again
You should take a few shots while playing with the light in each of them.
If you stand far from the subject (say, five or more feet away), the light will be expansive, gentle, and even. However, if you want to increase the light’s brightness falling on the subject, you’ll need to get closer to less than two feet.
Either way, you can make a beautiful picture of light painting. And as you master these basic techniques, you will step into more complex lighting techniques, such as multiple lights, coloured lights, multiple exposures, and stacking them together.
5 Tips and Techniques for Light Painting Photography Ideas
There are a variety of different tips and techniques for light painting that are useful to remember. These include, among others:
1. Painting from various angles
Try painting objects from the side or above to bring out their textures, rather than shining a light from behind your camera (or directly at it). To add dimension and detail to the surface, shine a light source at ground level. This effect is particularly excellent for grassy areas.
2. Wear the appropriate clothes
If you are using an on-camera light source, by making them wear dark, non-reflective clothing, and make sure your light is the subject of your picture.
3. Use a red filter to perform the test
It’s essential to keep your eyes accustom to the low-light environment when setting up your shots. Try attaching a red filter to your test lights rather than using conventional flashlights, which will ruin your night vision.
4. Experimentation with various surfaces
In light painting photography ideas, reflective surfaces such as metal, glass, and mirrors can create surprising effects. More light is absorbed by rougher surfaces such as stucco and wood for other applications, while transparent materials such as cloth can filter your light source in exciting ways.
5. Experimenting with the speed of movement
How bright your light painting will depend on how fast you move your source of light. For example, the longer you hold a light source in a particular location, the more time it will have to be absorbed by your camera sensor, and the brighter it will appear in the finished photo. In order to create shading effects that add complexity to your photos, experiment with fast and slow movements.
11 Best Works of Light Painting Photography Ideas
Many images concentrate on capturing a real-life scene or subject. Without photo manipulation, photography seems to be about actual things, artfully captured.
Light painting is an exception to this generalisation. When photographers paint, they manipulate the subject rather than editing the picture. They create scenes from their imagination using slow shutter speed with simple tools like flashlights and light wands.
So here’s some 11 awesome light painting photography ideas you can try:
Spin some Steelwool
Take a light painting portrait
Write your message to the world
Light paint an object
Do a double exposure
Do an Orb
Recreate an epic fight scene from a movie/comic
Use your zoom
Conclusion: Get creative with light painting photography ideas
Photography of light is a trial and error method. It takes many criteria to come up with a successful result, so be prepared to screw up. By using the wrong settings or forgetting your choreography for light painting, you can ruin your image.
At the end of the day, the most important thing to remember with light painting photography is to experiment, have fun and develop your style. Light painting a medium that gives you so many ways of expressing yourself, so dive in and see what you’re getting.
Photography requires plenty of practice and a healthy dose of creativity, whether you are just starting or have dreams of becoming a professional. Fighting!